Re: Problems with sane-scsi

From: Benjamin Hell (ben@spectrum.uni-bielefeld.de)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 08:30:23 PDT

    On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 04:25:34PM +0200, abel deuring wrote:
    > Benjamin Hell wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for the patch, appears as if it works now,
    > > at least I can use the scanner and get some pictures!
    > > But there is still a small bug apparently introduced
    > > by the first patch in the sharp backend:
    > >
    > > gcc -I/usr/local/gimp/include -c -g -O2 -W -Wall -DSCSIBUFFERSIZE=131072
    > > -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../include -I../include -D_GNU_SOURCE
    > > -DPATH_SANE_CONFIG_DIR=/usr/local/etc/sane.d
    > > -DPATH_SANE_DATA_DIR=/usr/local/share -DV_MAJOR=1 -DV_MINOR=0
    > > -DBACKEND_NAME=sharp -DLIBDIR=/usr/local/lib/sane sharp.c -fPIC -DPIC -o
    > > .libs/sharp.lo
    > > sharp.c: In function ense_handler':
    > > sharp.c:385:
    > > X350' undeclared (first use in this function)
    > > sharp.c:385: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    > > sharp.c:385: for each function it appears in.)
    >
    > Uuhhh... This proves that I am not a good bureaucrat. I wrote the patch
    > to sanei_scsi.c in my "personal version" of the Sane package, which
    > contains version 0.31 of the Sharp backend. After finishing and testing
    > the patch (with a Sharp scanner...), I copied the files sanei_scsi.[ch],
    > canon-scsi.c (or which was it??) and sharp.c to a directory containing
    > the Sane sources version 1.0.2 (containing an older version of Sharp
    > backend), and let diff run against the unpatched 1.0.2 version.
    > Obviously, I forgot to copy sharp.h... That file should have an entry
    > 'JX350' in the enum list together with JX330, JX250 and so on. I attach
    > another patch for sharp.h. (No, I'm not going to start a patch series
    > like the one for the Columbia Appletalk package with more tha 100 patch
    > files :) I'm only a little bit busy with other stuff right now.)
    >
    > Anyway, its fine to hear that the patch now really works for Solaris,
    > and FreeBSD. Thanks to you, Benjamin and Ben, for testing and reporting!

    Hi,

    While playing around, I found that xscanimage crashed
    whenever I wanted to scan with custom gamma table enabled:

    sanei_scsi.c:3701: failed assertion 'src_size == cmd_size'

    [1] + IOT instruction (core dumped) xscanimage

    Mmmh, appears to be a deja-vu :-)

    Ben

    **                 Benjamin Hell                **
    **         ben@spectrum.uni-bielefeld.de        **
    **    http://coral.lili.uni-bielefeld.de/~ben   **
    **       University of Bielefeld - Germany      **
    ** Faculty for Linguistics and Literary Studies **
    **  Computational Linguistics & Spoken Language **