Saned and Inetd not getting along - at all

From: Ashley Gittins (agittins@bigpond.net.au)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2000 - 01:58:12 PDT

    Greetings,
        I have installed sane-1.0.2 on my Redhat 6.1 system, and can scan images
    from my HP4P on /dev/sga.

    I am trying to get saned working, but cannot convince inetd to launch it.

    If I run saned -d128 from a shell prompt, I can connect to it and scan
    across the network. I figure that most of my config is ok in that case. if i
    run from a shell prompt without -d128, it will not work.

    I added this line to /etc/services:
    sane 6566/tcp # the sane service

    I added these lines to /etc/inetd.conf:
    # SANE
    # Provides network scanner Access
    #
    sane stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/sbin/saned saned

    I sent inetd a sighup by 'kill -s SIGHUP 453' (453 is pid of inetd).

    Check in /var/log/messages and find this entry:
    Jun 4 18:46:48 cancerman inetd[453]: sane/tcp: socket: Invalid argument

    If i comment out the line in services, it complains:
    Jun 4 18:24:20 cancerman inetd[453]: sane/tcp: unknown service
    which I guess is to be expected.

    I did have the line in inetd.conf with saned.saned for the user.group
    setting, then changed it to root while mucking around - still had the same
    error.

    Anyone know how I get saned to be launched by inetd?

    Thanks,
        Ash