Re: Mustek MFS-6000SP and ava-1505 just scans in Black...

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 09:44:58 PDT

    > I have Suse 6.3 with kernel 2.2.13, a mustek MFS-6000SP scanner (it's
    > labelled trust imagery 1200SP on the front, but on the back mfs-6000sp), a
    > adaptec ava-1505 scsi card and a zip drive attached to that. it's all
    > recognized well by the system (cat /proc/scsi/scsi:
    > Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
    > Vendor: MUSTEK Model: MSF-06000SP Rev: 2.02
    > Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 01

    Looks ok. I have tested a MFS-6000SP, too, but its firmware version was 3.12.
    This one didn't have the problem mentioned below.

    > But if i want to scan a picture with color or grayscale with xsane or
    > scanimage it just gives me a black picture back. lineart works.

    Interesting. I am pretty sure that this is related to gamma correction. Have
    you tried to use the "use custom gamma table" option? Does this change
    anything? If this helps I can set the MUSTEK_FLAG_FORCE_GAMMA for this
    scanner (at least for these versions).

    I have read one report back in 1998 about similar problems with a firmware
    version 2.10. Maybe all scanners below 3.0 show this behaviour.

    The debug output doesn't show anything unusual except the firmware version,
    which I haven't seen before.

    Ciao,
      Henning