Problems with xsane as root?

From: root (j-m.eoff@t-online.de)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 11:43:14 PST

    Oliver:

    Just a real dumb question here:
    What exactly are the problems that you encounter that are caused by
    people running xsane as root? I have not had any problems that were not
    related to hardware (or to my own incomplete knowledge of LINUX.)

    I do intend to switch to a normal user setup as soon as I get my
    hardware straightened out. I am fully convinced of the advantages of a
    controlled system - under my control. That is one of many reasons that
    I am doing my best to get away from Windows. You don't have to preach
    the advantages of LINUX to me, I am already converted. I simply haven't
    worked my way into things far enough to be confident of my ability to
    setup users and application programs to work properly.

    BTW: I really do appreciate all of the hard work that you and so many
    others have put into LINUX and the software to be used on it. I see how
    difficult it is for me to find the time to simply install and use the
    things that you all have created, and can only marvel that you have the
    time to create such things.

    Joseph R. Eoff