Re: Preview functionality

From: Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 13:45:25 PST

    Randolph Bentson wrote:

    > I wrote the backend drivers for the Fujitsu scanners, but left
    > out one significant function: preview. I did so because, absent
    > a working scanner of some other type, it wasn't obvious to me what
    > preview was all about. I didn't see what it did that a normal scan
    > didn't. My cursory reading of other backends didn't reveal what
    > was expected of this function, and since my interest was in the ADF
    > capability which doesn't seem to mesh well with previewing, I left
    > it out. If anyone would wish to point me to a clear description of
    > what preview is all about, I'll look into adding this functionality.

    Hi Randolph,

    some scanners have a special preview function that eg. does a fast calibration.

    Another thing is that if your backend enables different x and y resolution
    the preview mode should/could set the same values for x and y. This is
    necessary because there is no well known option "yresolution", only "resolution"
    is defined.

    But there is nothing that MUST be done.

    Bye
    Oliver