RE: WinSane

From: Robert Lowery (Robert.Lowery@colorbus.com.au)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 19:06:27 PST

    I am reposting this email which I sent to the list previously, as I was not
    a memer of this mailing list at the time I sent it, and it was silently
    rejected.

    From looking at previous postings, it seems that not many people are
    interested in Windows/TWAIN support for sane. I hope you don't mind me
    cross posting this private discussion to the list, but I am hoping to
    stimulate some discussion on the issue.

    I wish to commend Brian Macy on his work on WinSane 0.2.0.0
    <URL:http://www.sunshinecomputing.com/winsane/>, but the WinSane 0.90
    version from <URL:http://integramicro.com/winsane/> is the version most
    useful to me at this time, as it has TWAIN support.

    To date, I have not been able to get it to work, but here is what I have
    found from my investigations.

    Although ScanChk.exe seems to work on the command line (it finds my
    scanners), the WinSane TWAIN datasource is unable to find my scanners.

    However, when I manually modify the winsane.ini file (found in C:\WINDOWS)
    to add my scanner details, they now appear in the GUI.

    But, when I click Scan, I get InitScan failed (even though saned
    acknowledges the request in my logs.

    I suspect the problem lies in the fact that WinSane was compiled to support
    Sane 0.73 and my linux box is running Sane 1.0.1.

    The winscan.ini file implies than the winsane datasource just calls
    scanimg.exe and scanchk.exe to do its work. This may mean that if I
    replace scanimg.exe and the net backend with updated (1.0.1) versions on my
    Windows machine, it may work?

    Things to try (has anyone already tried any of them)
    1) Install Sane 0.73 on my linux box
    2) Use updated versions of scanimage and the net-backend on the Windows
    machine (compiled for win32)

    Comments please...

    -Robert

    P.S. Given that my linux IP address was 123.123.123.123 and the scanner uses
    the snapscan backend on /dev/scanner. How do I use scanimage.exe from
    Windows to do a scan?
    I thought it would be "scanimage -d snapscan:123.123.123.123:/dev/scanner"
    but this does not work :(