Re: buying new scanner is Mustek A3 EP or SP supported?

From: John Gay (John_Gay@eur.3com.com)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2000 - 08:05:57 PST

    As far as I know, sane will only support SCSI scanners, as SCSI is a published
    standard, whereas most Parallel devices use a proprietary protocol. Some
    parallel devices may be reverse-engineered, but very few. If you are buying a
    scanner, SCSI is the way to go to ensure compatibility. You still want to check
    the list of back-ends for more compatibility issues. If your PC does not have
    built-in SCSI, most scanners come with a scsi card, although it may be a cheap
    one. I know my AGFA scanner came with a SCSI card, but it was a cheap one that
    has little Linux support, so I used the on-board SCSI in my PC instead. This
    worked a treat!

    I'm only new to Linux myself, and just got my scanner working last week, but
    this is what I DO know, so I thought I'd share.

    Share and Enjoy!

         John Gay