Re: buying new scanner is Mustek A3 EP or SP supported?

From: Jonathan A. Buzzard (jonathan@buzzard.org.uk)
Date: Sun Jan 09 2000 - 04:30:49 PST

    John_Gay@eur.3com.com said:
    > As far as I know, sane will only support SCSI scanners, as SCSI is a
    > published standard, whereas most Parallel devices use a proprietary
    > protocol. Some parallel devices may be reverse-engineered, but very
    > few.

    Hum, a good few parallel scanners work under Sane. These include a
    raft of HP and Epson models. Some other parallel scanners are also
    supported. For further details please see

        http://www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/scanners.html

    As a plea to whoever runs the sane web pages, can we have a link from
    the supported scanners page to here. I am getting over 2500 users a
    months against this page, yet there is not a single link from the Sane
    pages to it.

    There are also a number of USB scanners that are supported (mostly HP ones).
    With the release of the docs from National Semiconductor for their
    LM983x series of scanner on a chip devices a good few parallel and USB
    scanners are likely to be supportable in the future.

    Other scanners such as the Umax Astra 2200su, and the Epson GT7000 USB
    may also work under Sane/Linux with the USB scanner driver

    JAB.

    --
    Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: jonathan@buzzard.org.uk
    Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44(0)1661-832195