Re: UMAX Astra 600S and SCSI disks on the same adapter

From: Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Date: Sat Jan 01 2000 - 06:35:30 PST

Andreas Muck wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've got an UMAX Astra 600S connected to an Dawicontrol DC-2974 PCI
> adapter on FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE. There are also 3 SCSI hard drives
> connected internally to the same adapter.
>
> I've installed sane-1.0.1 from the ports and patched the latest UMAX
> driver (sane-umax-1.0.1-build-13).
>
> The scanner works only as long as I don't access any hard drive while
> scanning. As soon as there's any other activity while the scan is in
> progres the whole SCSI bus would freeze, the scaner will stop without
> even parking the lamp and I have to reboot the system and turn the
> scanner off and back on to recover.
>
> Is this normal? Any chance to get the scanner and the hard drives
> working together on the same SCSI adapter? Termination should be ok.

Hi,

this sounds like a disconnect/reconnect problem or a wrong scsi termination.

Please check:
- disconnect/reconnect is disabled
- the scsi bus is terminated correct
- the cable length is correct (<=150cm if a ultra scsi device is connected).

Bye
Oliver

--
Homepage:       http://www.wolfsburg.de/~rauch