RE: Mustek MFS 6000CX Problems

Mitchell, Sean (mitchell@chrs.com)
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 13:40:01 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Beck [mailto:becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de]
Subject: Re: Mustek MFS 6000CX Problems

>> I've been using SANE with some success on Linux-2.2.x with a Mustek
>> MFS 6000CX and a AHA-1542C. I've got xscanimage working, but it will
>> not scan at resolutions higher than 300dpi. When I try to set it to
>> 600dpi (the max allowable in xscanimage) it scans at what appears to
>> be the default resolution of somewhat less than 300dpi.

> That sounds like a bug in the driver. However:

Gack! How do I submit a bug report? Would it be worth anyone's while for me
to look though the code myself... I'm thinking that this would not be an
obvious bug or it would have bitten other Mustek users before now.

> No. The 6000 series has an optical resolution of 600x300dpi. the
> naming convention for Mustek scanners is [dpi]0[Type].
> Where [dpi] is the vertical (stepping) resolution, which is twice
> the horizontal (CCD) resolution.

Ah. That's useful to know. I've long since lost any manuals that came with
the Mustek, so I wasn't sure what it could do. I did remember that it was
better than the Plustek it replaced, which was capable of up to 300dpi. In
the Windoze dialogue that comes up it shows resolutions up to 1200 dpi, then
a separator, and then 2400 and 4800. That's what my assumptions were based
on (although it did seem a little to good to be true!).

>> I thought perhaps I could get around this by using scanimage,

> No. If xscanimage offers the option, it basically does the same
> scanimage would do. The backend imposes restrictions on options in
> SANE, not the frontend (with the exception of possible bugs of
> course).

But possibly the error is in how xscanimage calls the API (or scanimage),
not in the driver or scanimage itself?

>> but I cannot find any documentation on how to specify resolution or
>> the area to scan.

> scanimage -h will help you out :-).

I did try that but all I got was

Usage: scanimage [OPTION]...

Start image acquisition on a scanner device and write PNM image data to
standard output.

-d, --device-name=DEVICE use a given scanner device
-h, --help display this help message and exit
-L, --list-devices show available scanner devices
-T, --test test backend thoroughly
-v, --verbose give even more status messages
-V, --version print version information

> Eventually -L might be useful to list the found devices and -d to
> select one of them.

Hmm.. maybe I misunderstood. Perhaps I should have used "scanimage -h
--device-name=mustek" (i forget at the moment the device convention, but..)
instead of just "scanimage -h" to get device specifc help?

> Try the options --resolution, -x and -y (width and height, it will
> understand units) -l and -t (left and top border to skip).

Thanks! Do you know offhand where/if these option are documented? I searched
and grepped to no avail!

Anyone else Out There using a Mustek 6000CX with SANE and getting >300dpi?

Cheers,

Sean