Re: Sane on FreeBSD

Stefan Rutzinger (Stefan_Rutzinger@Physik.TU-Muenchen.DE)
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 09:03:20 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Rick Knebel wrote:

> Hi,
> I am using FreeBSD 3.2 and just added a second scsi card to be able to use
> my scanner.
>
> I can see my scanner on bootup as pass4 but when I look in /dev ther are
> only /dev/pass0-pass3.
>
> If I run xscanimage as root /dev/pass4 does not come up as one of the
> choices.

I don't know anything about the BSD Kernel, but with Linux you have to
compile the kernel with "generic scsi support", which is needed to use any
other scsi devices that is not a hd's and cd's.

The message you see on bootup is the output of the scsi-controller's
bus-scan, this means your scanner is detected correctly by the hardware,
but this says nothing about whether it is supported by your current
software setup.

MfG
Stefan