Discussion about SANE and TWAIN...

Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 19:01:30 +0200

252353N@knotes.kodak.com wrote:

> From: Mark McLaughlin
>
> Hello...
>
> My name is Mark McLaughlin, and I am the current Chairperson
> on the TWAIN Working Group Technical Sub-committee. I am
> sending this message to the manager for the SANE website in
> the hope that it will reach the appropriate people.
>
> There is growing interest (as viewed on our mailing list) for
> seeing TWAIN support on UNIX platforms, particularly on Linux.
> This interest has finally reached a level where the TWAIN
> Working Group feels it needs to investigate the possibility of
> adding support for UNIX.
>
> We are interested in this because we believe there is an
> opportunity to help developers of image capture systems
> on UNIX, WIN32 and Macintosh platforms leverage their
> code run on one or more or the alternate platforms.
>
> TWAIN has no intention of competing with SANE. Rather we
> wish to investigate a chance to employ the strengths of both
> standards. We are not against the idea of seeing SANE
> running on WIN32 or Macintosh platforms, and if there are
> ways we can help SANE achieve this we would be happy to
> discuss them. It is important that both groups benefit from any
> interaction.
>
> We would like to start a dialog with one or more members of the
> SANE group to discuss this further. Please feel free to respond
> directly to me, or to the TWAIN Working Group as a whole
> (twain-wg@twain.org); whichever you feel to be more apropriate.

Hello,

we are interested in the discussion about making available TWAIN
on UNIX/linux and the coexistence of TWAIN and SANE on
the same operating systems.
I think there are a lot of thing both projects can benefit from.
It also is interesting to see if it makes sense/is possible
to make both standards work with each other
(e.g. create a sane-backend that connects to TWAIN devices
or to create a TWAIN device driver that makes available
the devices supported by SANE, etc.).

At first I have to take a closer look at the TWAIN standard to
know what we are talking about.

I will cc my mails to the sane-devel mailling list (so we can keep the
discussion open for the people who are involved or interested in the
sane development ). I will send the mails directly to you. If you like to
I will also cc my mails to twain-wg@twain.org.

Bye
Oliver Rauch

--