Re: Discussion about SANE and TWAIN...

252353N@knotes.kodak.com
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 15:24:54 -0400

From: Mark McLaughlin

Hi Oliver...

Many thanks for your reply.

I'm glad that you also see a benefit from this interaction between
SANE and TWAIN. The fact that TWAIN's user base is expressing
an interest in UNIX is a little daunting in some ways, since not many
of the current TWAIN members are doing anything with UNIX.
So one of the opportunities we see from working with SANE is a
chance to draw on your experience and expertise.

As stated in my first message, I believe the principle benefit from
SANE and TWAIN working together is a chance to help app
writers cross from one OS to the other with less effort than it takes
today. So, TWAIN runs on UNIX, SANE runs on Windows, and
application writers have one less component to worry about
when trying to build their source code on an alternate platform.

Bearing that in mind, I propose that on UNIX TWAIN runs in
communication with a generic Source that talks to SANE drivers.
We would have to make some minor changes to our Source
Manager to allow this to work properly, but such a TWAIN Source
would be able to communicate with any SANE supported image
capture device.

At this time I don't believe there is much to be gained from having
a generic SANE driver that talks to TWAIN. Technically it is very
doable, but TWAIN Sources have a history of relying heavily or
even exclusively on their internal GUIs, which doesn't fit well into
SANE's programmatic design. We are working to change this
behavior (and have been since TWAIN 1.7 -- 1997), so in the
future it might be advantageous to do this.

One question I have regarding SANE has to do with writing drivers
for mulitple UNIX platforms. Writing a 'single' device driver for
Solaris and AIX and Linux, etc must be appealing to some device
manufacterers (nobody wants to have write one driver per OS for
their device). Has SANE investigated an abstraction between
it's interface and the actual communication with the OS? I'm kind of
looking for something like ASPI (though wire independent). The
idea being that me, as a driver writer, would be able to write a
SANE driver that with a minimum of #ifdef's would be buildable on
UNIX or Macintosh or Windows platforms.

If such a mechanism could be created, I would have a very good
reason for running SANE on Windows and Macintosh platforms...

Mark McLaughlin
Eastman Kodak Company
716 726 1352
mlm@kodak.com