Re: Networked Sane

Milon Firikis (milonf@ariadne-t.gr)
Tue, 11 May 1999 12:57:46 +0300

Sven Riedel wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm currently trying to use sane over the network. I installed sane as an
> inetd service and added the corresponding port to /etc/services (lets
> call this Machine A). The machine calling A (lets call it B) was added to
> A's saned.conf, and A was added to B's net.conf. the entry "net" is the
> first in Bs dll.conf.
> Running saned -d on A, and calling xscanimage on B runs fine. Running plain
> saned (manually) on A won't let B connect. And having saned as a pure inetd
> service results in Bs xscanimage to segfault.
> Both A and B have sane 1.01 installed. Any thoughts on how to handle this?
> ssh'ing over to A and calling saned -d by hand is not exactely what I call
> elegant :)

Aargh!!! So that was it. I should have found it long before. I haven't
thought to run it outside the inetd.

OK. I confirm this behaviour. I don't have network but running saned
locally:
a) saned -d works :scanimage -L reports both local and network devices
b) saned :scanimage -L does't connect
c) through inetd :scanimage -L crashes

This is buggy behaviour since '-d' means "debug" and not "daemon".
I don't have the actual hardware handy to test my backend with the net
backend , but I will do as soon as I get home.

MF

My system is RedHat 5.1