Re: [Announce] WinSANE 0.1.0.0 Release

Ewald R. de Wit (ewald@pobox.com)
Tue, 11 May 1999 10:47:53 +0200

Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk) wrote:

> Are you suggesting that the HP backend exports this bizarre format?
> If so, the HP backend is non-compliant wrt the SANE standard. The SANE
> standard indicates two possible ways of encoding 8 < bits <= 16

A month ago there was some talk on this list about a standard 16 bit
format. But that thread abrubtly ended and as far as I know nothing
concrete transpired out of it. That would mean that the SANE standard
still does not define any standard >8 bit format, and the deep bit data
is packed as it comes out of the scanner (i.e. vendor specific).

> This is neither of those two ways, so it's not possible for a properly
> written frontend to correctly understand that format.

My still-under-construction frontend has no problems with it.. it
checks the vendor string to see what packing to use.

--
  --  Ewald