Re: saned troubles

Dean@Home ("Dean@Home")
Mon, 10 May 1999 21:48:49 -0700

Ray wrote:

> On Sun, May 09, 1999 at 12:26:18PM -0700, Dean@Home wrote:
> > Greetings all,
> >
> > Sorry in advance if this is a newbie/FAQ, but I can't seem to find
> > anything in the way of documentation/troubleshooting for the saned
> > portion of SANE. Has anyone ever got this working? How did you do it? Is
> > there a FAQ/DOC somewhere, which offers more than the man page does? I
> > can't get it going, and don't know where to turn. Any help/links would
> > be greatly appreciated.
>
> Well, I have had it up and working for about 1 week. I had trouble with an
> older version (0.7something) but the current version worked without any real
> drama. I have a Mustek scanner so on the server I edited /etc/sane.d/:
>
> net.conf
> saned.conf
> dll.conf
> mustek.conf

Hi Ray, thanks for the reply.
Did all those, minus the mustek.conf, mine's a MicroTek ScanMaker E3, so have
the microtek.conf. I'm 99% sure the editing is right. :) BTW, mine were (I
moved them to etc/sane.d) in /usr/local/etc/sane.d

> On the clients I just edited net.conf. Oh, I also added a line to
> /etc/services and adjusted the permissions for the device pointed to by
> /dev/scanner.

Did that too, made an account for saned in group saned, as per the man page. My
device(s), according to find-scanner are /dev/sgc and /dev/sg2. Not sure what
the permissions are, or are supposed to be.

> To scan I can type:
>
> scanimage -d net:HOSTNAME:mustek:/dev/scanner > /tmp/test.pnm
>
> and it just does it's thing.

I get the following error:

scanimage: open of device net:odin:microtek:/dev/sgc failed: Error during
device I/O

> Exactly what problem are you having? Does it work from the machine where
> the scanner is attached?

Well, more than I thought at first it seems. Upon looking at the server, I
noticed a number of saned entries in my /var/log/messages, namely connections
being refused from the client. Also, I did have SANE working fine locally on
the server, I recently (Saturday) re-installed RedHat, using 6.0 this time.
It's the bone-stock 2.2.5-15 SMP kernel, but now, when I try scanimage -l, I
get No SANE devices found. Are there RH 6.0 issues with SANE 1.01? I tried
re-installing on both machines, starting from scratch, but it's just not
working. BTW, find-scanner finds the following, in case it matters:

Detected scsi generic sgc at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
find-scanner: found scanner "Scanner 1.40" at device /dev/sgc
find-scanner: found scanner "Scanner 1.40" at device /dev/sg2

I'm at a total loss now! I appreciate your help though, although I'm sure it's
my newbieness getting in the way of this working. BTW, the server is also the
gateway/firewall/masq machine for this one, so connectivity to/from/through is
working fine. I even tried dropping all the ipchains rules, to no avail. Also,
running saned -d gets the same results, it just exits, dumps the reject line in
the messages file and does nothing. Should I recompile with debugging to see
what is going on?

Dean@Home
deanmills@home.com