Re: Nikon Coolscan SCSI commands

From: Major A (andras@users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 04:29:01 PDT

    Jonathan,

    > I would be tempted to say register VueScan as it is much more useful
    > for scanning negatives than Sane is likely to be in quite some time.

    I don't think so. If proper strip film feeder functions (frame
    selection) and decent dust removal are added to the backend, then SANE
    will be just as good and useful as VueScan, as far as I can tell.

    In any case, there is no point giving up on the basis that there is a
    better (commercial) alternative.

    > > BTW, where is Andreas Rick these days? I tried to email him, but never
    > > got a reply. And the Coolscan backend hasn't been updated for quite a
    > > while.
    >
    > No idea, it is probably an unmaintained backend.

    OK, in that case I am volunteering to take over. As soon as I have a
    bit more time (August), I will finish work on the strip feeder, and do
    some code clean-up. What is the procedure for taking over a backend?
    BTW, I think it's about time to get the new USB and firewire scanners
    working (LS40, LS4000, LS8000), and I am prepared to do that.

      Andras