Re: SANE CVS snapshot (2001-05-27) available

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (henning@meier-geinitz.de)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 13:18:20 PDT

    On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 09:48:32PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
    > [Henning Meier-Geinitz]
    > > I see. I just found out that sanei_codec_ascii is somehow used in
    > > the xscanimage preferences. I will have a look at this.
    >
    > Yes, it seem to be used to save and load the preferences file. Which
    > is a good idea when one think about it. :-)
    >
    > I updated the sane-frontend/sanei/ subdirectory to match the content
    > of sane-frontend/sanei/. Parhaps we should install libsanei as well
    > from sane-backends?

    Won't we get trouble at least with shared libraries because currently
    it's linked to the backend libraries and then to backends and frontends?

    > Other alternatives include rewrite the frontends to not use sanei_wire
    > functions, or to use different symbol names in the frontends. Both
    > are bad alternatives in my eyes.

    It's not only sanei_wire but also the debug functions. I just did some
    changes (locally) to combine all necessary code in debug.c,
    store_values.c (load_values, save_values) and wire.c (codec_ascii,
    sanei_wire). codec_bin doesn't seem to be needed. Renaming everything
    from sanei_w_* to wire_* or something like that works. It's a bigger
    change (removing sanei/ completely and most of include/sane). At least
    it works :-) I will look at this in more detail tomorrow and post a
    patch.

    I'm not sure, what's the better approach.

    What's used in xsane?

    Bye,
      Henning