Re: Failed to open device: Error during device I/O

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (henning@meier-geinitz.de)
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 10:34:06 PDT

    On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 01:52:02PM -0400, Elwin Koster wrote:
    > After upgrading to sane1.0.4 and xsane-0.76 I have a problem connecting from
    > my machines to a scanner server that was working before.
    > After starting xsane net:ip-address I get almost immediately the message:
    > Failed to open device: Error during device I/O

    Any messages in syslog? Which backend do you use on the server? You
    can start saned stand-alone (without inetd). Disable saned in
    inetd.conf and restart inetd. After that you can start saned manually,
    e.g.

    saned -d128

    You can also set the debug variable for your backend (e.g.
    SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK=255). Anyinteresting messages?

    > Since I have one machine from which I can start xsane without problems the
    > server seems to be running. The machines that I would like to connect from
    > are listed in the saned.conf on the server as well with their ip as with
    > their names.
    > What other settings should I change? and on which machine (server or host)?

    The ip address of the server is in the net.conf of the client?

    Bye,
      Henning