Failed to open device: Error during device I/O

From: Elwin Koster (ekoster@let.rug.nl)
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 10:52:02 PDT

    Dear all,
    After upgrading to sane1.0.4 and xsane-0.76 I have a problem connecting from
    my machines to a scanner server that was working before.
    After starting xsane net:ip-address I get almost immediately the message:
    Failed to open device: Error during device I/O

    Since I have one machine from which I can start xsane without problems the
    server seems to be running. The machines that I would like to connect from
    are listed in the saned.conf on the server as well with their ip as with
    their names.
    What other settings should I change? and on which machine (server or host)?

    thanks for time and help,
    Elwin
    ekoster@let.rug.nl