Re: Hope you don't mind a HELP-ME! post?

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (henning@meier-geinitz.de)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 09:14:39 PDT

    On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 07:50:35PM -0400, Rupert Heesom wrote:
    > I have a scsi scanner: Umax Astra 1220S. I had RPMs of xsane & sane
    > installed from the Ximian Gnome 1.4 RPM set. I suddenly found that I
    > could no longer get previews when I was using xsane. According to my
    > syslog, when I loaded xsane, modprobe was looking for "char-major-81"
    > which it couldn't find. The scanner was then taken offline until I
    > rebooted the PC.
    >
    > I found however that after a reboot, I could load xsane and do a
    > straight scan OK (bypassing preview).
    >
    > I looked at the kernel source (I'm running 2.4.3) documentation for
    > "char-major-81" and was not convinced that my problem lay directly with
    > that error (Video4Linux!?).

    SANE can use Video4Linux devices. To be sure that there won't be any
    problem with v4l you can disable it in /usr/etc/sane.d/dll.conf (or
    wherever your Distribution puts this file).

    > It may have been around the time of my kernel change from the RH7
    > default of 2.2.16-22 to the stock kernel of 2.4.3 (because I wanted the
    > LVM facility in the 2.4 kernel). I read something about scanning being
    > messed up when changing kernels because a setting SG_BIG_BUFF is reset
    > to a smaller value than before the kernel change which affects the
    > memory that sane thinks it has. 2 paths were mentioned:

    I don't think that that's the problem. Look at the SANE FAQ
    (http://www.xs4all.nl/~ljm/SANE-faq.html#65) for a solution of the
    Linux 2.4 timeout problem.

    > If I try to run xscanimage with the Debugging level set to 4 ....
    >
    > [rupert@localhost rupert]$xscanimage
    > [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of xscanimage to 4.
    > [xscanimage] xscanimage (version: 1.0.4, package: sane-frontends)
    > starting
    > [xscanimage] No scanners were identified. If you were expecting
    > something
    > different, check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and
    > detected by the find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please
    > read
    > the documentation which came with this software (README, FAQ,
    > manpages).
    > [xscanimage] xscanimage exiting.
    >
    > ...... it doesn't tell me much, except what I already know.

    Set the debug level of your backend, not the debug level of xscanimage.

    Bye,
      Henning