Re: No SANE Devices Found

From: Thomas Gebhardt (gebhardt@hrz.uni-marburg.de)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 01:50:47 PDT

    > If SANE wasn't installed, scanimage would put out an error. The output
    > above is only an example. pnm is disabeld by default in dll.conf. If
    > you want to do tests, you can enable it by removing the "#" in front
    > of pnm in dll.conf.

    > If you expected your scanner to show up here, can you give more
    > information abot the type of your scanner?

    I'll follow up since I have a similiar problem.

    I am running Linux 2.4.3, trying to connect a Lifetec 9452 (aka Aldi)
    USB Scanner. There is some evidence that this scanner is compatible
    to the Mustek 1200 UB, so its worth a try.

    Carefully read the scanner.txt Documentation from the kernel
    source, compiled usb-uhci, usbdevfs and usb scanner support
    as modules and created the device files.

    /proc/bus/usb/devices says vendor id=05d8 (Artec/Ultima?),
    prod id=4002. So I installed the scanner module with this
    options (vendor=0x05d8 product=0x4002).

    I have sane 1.0.4 installed.

    scanimage -L says "no SANE devices found".
    Running "strace scanimage -L says" reveals that /dev/usbscanner
    cannot be openend. "cat /dev/usbscanner" says "No such device".
    /dev/usbscanner is linked to /dev/usbscanner0, which is device
    180/48.

    These are the syslog entries:

    syslog:Apr 27 01:17:54 kunibert usb.c: registered new driver usbscanner
    syslog:Apr 27 01:17:54 kunibert scanner.c: USB Scanner support registered.
    syslog:Apr 27 01:17:54 kunibert scanner.c: probe_scanner: User specified USB
    scanner -- Vendor:Product - 5d8:4002
    syslog:Apr 27 01:17:54 kunibert scanner.c: probe_scanner: Only two or three
    endpoints supported.
    syslog:Apr 27 01:18:41 kunibert scanner.c: open_scanner(0): Unable to access
    minor data

    Any hints?

    Is this really a sane problem (no backend found) or some
    misconfiguration within the usb layer?

    Thanks, Thomas