SCSI hangups (was: Memory on scanning)

From: Frederik Ramm (frederik@remote.org)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 14:11:39 PDT

    On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 10:56:09PM +0200, Peter Kirchgessner
    > If a scan dies, it could also be a problem with the SCSI-card or
    > connection. The cards delivered with the HP scanners seem not to work
    > very good under Linux.

    I had a lot of SCSI trouble during my early experiments; I'm using an
    AHA-2940 and a 2.4.1-pre11 Linux kernel. The scan would freeze after a
    (changing) amount of data had been read. Trying to get the system back
    into a "clean" state by unloading tha aic7xxx module often resulted in
    a kernel panic.

    Reducing the SCSI buffer size to 32K helped; I didn't have any freezes
    since then.

    Bye
    Frederik

    --