Software for printing image files

From: Howard Gilbert (post@howard-gilbert.uklinux.net)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 15:29:06 PDT

    I have recently bought an Epson 1240U and have suceeded in installing and
    running it with Sane. (RH7.0, Kernel v2.4.2).

    Thanks to all involved in developing Sane code it works well for me.

    I would be grateful for advice on processing large images. I intend to buy
    a digital camera soon so, to see if I'll be able to process digital
    'photos, I scanned and processed a photograph.

    The only way I can print is to import into gimp and print from
    there. Doing this it would appear that a 4.8meg jpeg file needs about
    200meg of disk space to process and print and the results were not
    brilliant. I could create a biger disk partition to process but is there a
    better way?

    Is there software which enables the printing of large image file
    (jpeg,tiff etc) without requiring masses of disk space to process them?

    Do digital camera images need to go through something like gimp?

    I have a HP DeskJet 670C am I likely to get good results with this?

    --
    Best wishes,
    Howard.