Re: 8x14 Scanners?

From: Steve Cranage (stevecranage@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 08:24:53 PDT

    Peck Dickens wrote:

    > On Mon, 2 Apr 2001 23:11:29 -0400
    > Jérôme Loisel <jerome@levinux.org> wrote:
    >
    > > I am looking to buy a cheap (<US$200) 8x14 scanner. They are a bit hard to
    > > find, but what makes this a real headache is Linux support. Can anyone give
    > > me some advice?
    >
    > Well, I know this issue is preference oriented, but after looking at what
    > is available for $200 USD or less, I would purchase a used mid-range scsi
    > scanner before I purchased new low-end... I have three used Fujitsu 600C
    > scanners that I purchased for less than $ 150 USD each (They retail for about
    > $1500 USD). I have had all of them for over a year and they are being
    > used in high volume applications and have *never* given me any problems.
    > They will scan up to 8 inches x 12 inches (Or A4) and have automatic document
    > feeders that hold up to 50 pages. I have two of them hanging off of
    > Adaptec 2940UW adapters and one hanging off of an adaptec 1542 adapter.
    > They are well supported under the SANE backend as well as with the
    > front-ends xscanimage and xsane.
    >
    > Best
    >
    > Peck

    That's funny, I looked and didn't see any supported Fujitsu scanners on the sane
    homepage or in the backend distribution. What does it emulate? I use a Sharp
    JX-610 with is an 11x14 hi res color scanner under sane 1.0.4, and am very happy
    with it. I also bought mine used for less than $100 (included the still unwrapped
    transparency backlight). I once saw one on some dealer's web page for $10K+ 8-).