Re: 8x14 Scanners?

From: Peck Dickens (peck_d@bellsouth.net)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 21:04:47 PDT

    On Mon, 2 Apr 2001 23:11:29 -0400
    Jérôme Loisel <jerome@levinux.org> wrote:

    > I am looking to buy a cheap (<US$200) 8x14 scanner. They are a bit hard to
    > find, but what makes this a real headache is Linux support. Can anyone give
    > me some advice?

    Well, I know this issue is preference oriented, but after looking at what
    is available for $200 USD or less, I would purchase a used mid-range scsi
    scanner before I purchased new low-end... I have three used Fujitsu 600C
    scanners that I purchased for less than $ 150 USD each (They retail for about
    $1500 USD). I have had all of them for over a year and they are being
    used in high volume applications and have *never* given me any problems.
    They will scan up to 8 inches x 12 inches (Or A4) and have automatic document
    feeders that hold up to 50 pages. I have two of them hanging off of
    Adaptec 2940UW adapters and one hanging off of an adaptec 1542 adapter.
    They are well supported under the SANE backend as well as with the
    front-ends xscanimage and xsane.

    Best

    Peck