Re: sm3600 SANE backend in the beam

From: Oliver Neukum (Oliver.Neukum@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 09:44:23 PDT

    Am Montag 02 April 2001 17:25 schrieben Sie:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Glenn Ramsey and me wrote a scanning application for the Microtek 3600
    > USB scanner. It is pure reverse engineering, since we got no information
    > at all from Microtek until now. Thus the driver uses very much magic
    > control values. But it works for at least Glenn and me. And if You test
    > it with us, we can make it just better.

    Great work !

    [..]
    > So we will apprechiate any information pointer for SANE integrations
    > aspects, especially how to
    > - link the backend as a SANE DLL module
    > - install the additional backend by hand
    > - address the usbfs root access issues in a sensible manner.

    This is a general problem.
    You can either live with it and use saned over TCP/IP loopback, which I
    wouldn't recommend.
    Or you change the permissions and ownership on the usbdevfs entry.
    Or write a small kernel module.
    If you have libusb available under a range of platforms this is more portable.
    However the permissions solution works on Linux and only with usb hotplugging
    support (or manually which is too ugly to let live).
    You clearly cannot use the existing kernel drivers.
    As for portability, I only know that BSD has generic USB drivers as regular
    devices which will use the same permission system as all other device files.
    Is there any other Unix with USB support ?

            Regards
                    Oliver Neukum