RE: Scan ahead

From: JFL Sane Dev (SaneDeveloper@jflinc.com)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 12:50:01 PST

    Hello Peter,

    Thank you very much for your answer.

    Assuming there are such scanners, what would be the correct SANE command
    sequence?

    Many production scanners do support this feature. Most of these scanners
    scan only B&W and grayscale but not necessarily at low resolutions (it is
    not very uncommon 600 dpi and up). If the scanner scans compressed then the
    amount of memory needed to store an image in the scanner buffer is minimal,
    but scan ahead may be supported also for uncompressed data (how many pages
    is the scanner able to scan before to fill completely the buffer depends on
    the buffer and image size and the speed the application is able to pull out
    images from the buffer). All those scanners when used in page by page scan
    mode (i.e. scan synchronously with the driver/application) are not able
    usually to sustain their maximum scan speed.

    The particular scanner I want to try to scan in scan ahead mode from it
    using SANE is Fujitsu M4099D.

    I am very interested to know the correct SANE command sequence/procedure for
    such a scan-ahead acquisition sequence.

    Thanks,
    Marius