Re: HP PhotoSmart S20 USB / Filmscanner

From: Ulrich Deiters (ukd@xenon.pc.Uni-Koeln.DE)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 07:13:00 PST

    HP developing UNIX/Linux software? That would be a marvel indeed.
    Usually their printer and scanner departments never even heard
    about that top secret department that sells UNIX workstations ...

    My experience with the HP PhotoSmart (SCSI version) is 18 months
    old, but may still be of interest to you. The PhotoSmart accepts
    negative strips, positive slides, and small photo prints. In contrast
    to what HP told me at that time, one cannot use slides in glass
    frames. The scanning speed is good, but - at least the model I
    had - has only an 8-bit A/D converter. This is good enough in principle,
    but if you have less than perfectly exposed slides, need to light up
    shadow portions, etc., 10 or 12 bit give you more flexibility.

    I had to scan technical slides (emulsion on glass carrier), and I did
    not have the time to re-frame all my slides in glass frames, so
    I gave the HP scanner back and purchased the Canon FS2710.

    Regards,

    Ulrich Deiters