Re: Colour matching

From: Karl Heinz Kremer (khk@khk.net)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 14:10:49 PST

    On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 12:05:09PM -0500, m1garandusa@netscape.net wrote:
    > I would argue that the eye reacts the same to all media, after all a photon is a
    > photon is a photon. Once it has bounced off of, or passed through the media,
    > our eye neither cares or knows how the photon got there. Rather the media
    > themselves affect the light differently depending on whether light reflects
    > off of its surface or passes through it. But now I'm just being an annoying
    > nit-picker. Does anyone know of a densitometr that is supported by Linux?
    > Could Sane be configured to act as a densitometer back-end?

    In your list of color links you forgot the most important one :-)
    http://web.access.net.au/argyll/argyllcms.html

    This system is an experimental CMS that can create scanner _AND_ printer
    profiles. It uses a DTP51 colorimeter - unfortunately this is not one of
    the cheaper models.

    In an earlier email you asked if one could not just take a scanner,
    scan an IT8 target and then create an ICC profile based on the scanner
    data. This is possible, unfortunately there is no Linux software that
    can do this. Thee are a few packages for Windows and Macs that can do
    this (e.g. from Heidelberg, Praxisoft (Wiziwyg), Monaco, ...) They
    do a reasonable job, but a colorimeter based approach is much better.

    I run Wiziwyg unser VMware.

    Hope this helps,

    Karl Heinz

    --