Re: net.conf: saned[21972]: init: bad status=22 or procnum=0

From: Michael Rothwell (rothwell@holly-springs.nc.us)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 17:28:01 PST

    I switched to using this in inetd.conf:

    sane stream tcp nowait saned.saned /usr/sbin/tcpd saned

    .. and wrapped /usr/local/sbin/saned with this script at
    /usr/sbin/saned:

    #!/bin/sh
    SANE_DIR=/tmp
    SANE_DEBUG_LOG=/tmp/saned.log
    SANE_DEBUG_DLL=128
    SANE_DEBUG_NET=128
    SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI=128
    SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=128
    export SANE_DEBUG_DLL SANE_DEBUG_NET SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI
    SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN
    exec /usr/local/sbin/saned 2> $SANE_DEBUG_LOG

    ... now it works. I found that geocrawler had a searchable archive of
    the sane list, and found this solution there. There's apparently a
    subtle bug with saned that turning on logging fixes. Lately, a computer
    science professor and his students have been running the linux kernel
    through a special gcc that locates subtle bugs that may not normally
    cause a crash. Might be worthwhile to try doing that the saned.

    Thanks, everyone!

    -M