Re: HP ScanJet Plus woes

From: Peter Kirchgessner (peter@kirchgessner.net)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 23:59:24 PST

    Hello Mark,

    Mark Perks wrote:

    > I am running SuSE 6.1, kernel 2.2.4. I have acquired a HP ScanJet
    > Plus with the HP interface card. I have Christer Weinigel's latest driver
    > for the HP ScanJet Plus, hpscan-2.2.7. I compiled the driver, insmod it
    > (kernel message reports the interface found), edited
    > /usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.conf and hp.conf as directed in the man page,
    > and exported SANE_DEBUG_HP=128.
    >
    > 1) With permissions crwxr--r-- on /dev/hpscan I get this report from
    > scanimage -d hp:/dev/hpscan
    >
    > [hp] init called
    > [hp] scsi_new: open failed (Access to resource has been denied)
    > [hp] /dev/hpscan: Can't open scsi device
    >
    > 2) With permissions crwxrwxrwx on /dev/hpscan I get

    you need read and write permissions for those who want access to the
    scanner. Use chmod 666 /dev/hpscan to allow access to everyone.
    Please check if your hp.conf looks like

    /dev/hpscan
      option connect-device

    The line "option connect-device" below /dev/hpscan is important.
    Otherwise the backend tries a SCSI-connection.

    -- Peter

    > [hp] init called
    > [hp] scsi_inquire: sending INQUIRE
    > Segmentation fault
    >
    > ? Anything simple I've overlooked?
    > ? How can I stop scanimage from looking for a scsi device?
    > ? Do I need to install Christer's patches for the backend? If so I
    > only see sane-1.0.1-hporig.diff as the possible patch file but
    > I'm trying to run sane-1.0.3. Does it matter?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > H. Mark Perks Dept of Chem, UMBC
    > perks@umbc.edu 410 455-2789 Baltimore, MD 21250

    Peter Kirchgessner