RE: Getting my scanner to work

From: Mark Stewart (mstewart@atg.com)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 08:33:15 PST

    Hi Robert,

    I have tried getting my Umax Astra600S--which, I think, is a close variant
    of the 1220S--working with an Adaptec 2906 for a month or so (on and off)
    without any success despite a fair bit of help from the list. The last bit
    of advice that I was given, but haven't been able to try yet, was to
    actually use the ISA SCSI card that came with the scanner. Apparently there
    are some people who got it to work. Alas no names were given. It took me a
    while to even identify the card since Umax didn't provide *any* information
    about it. It's a DTC 3181E, I think, though my notes are at home right now.

    I found this via Google:
    http://www.mostang.com/mail-archive/sane-devel/1999-06/0174.html

    I've installed the card on my system (running Mandrake 7.1) but haven't been
    able to find any practical information as to how to setup the address
    parameters that need to be passed to the driver. Many HOWTOs talk about the
    need to set them "appropriate to your system" but I haven't found any docs
    that explain how to go about determining this. Since SANE still seems to
    require a lot of tweaking it might be useful for the list at large for
    someone who knows how to do this to offer a mini HOWTO on this topic.

    Also: It seems odd to me that the Umax docs for the Astra say to install the
    AIC7800 drivers under Windows for the ISA card they ship with the scanner,
    that the Adaptec 2906 card uses the aic78xxx driver under Linux, but that
    the driver recommended for the ISA card under Linux is the g_NCR5380.

    I hope we can get this figured out.

    ::mark