Getting my scanner to work

From: Robert N. Eaton (moth28@infinet-is.com)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 09:02:21 PST

    Hello all,

    I am by no means a developer, or even a coder. I'm not exactly a Linux
    newbie, either: I've been playing around with various distributions for
    the past three years. My current distribution is Caldera Open Desktop
    2.4, using the 2.2.14 kernel, sane-1.0.1, gimp-1.1, and
    gtk+-devel-1.2.6.

    My computer is a generic PII 233Mh, 64M RAM, dual-boot with Win95 in
    hda1 and Linux on hdb1. I replaced my parallel port scanner recently
    when I saw on sale a UMAX Astra 1220s for $49.95. (And probably worth
    every penny!) According to Mostang's documentation it is fully supported
    without comment. Since I read that the UMAX scsi controller cards might
    not be supported under Linux, I purchased an Adaptec 2906 controller
    card. The scanner and card work well under Win95.

    Nevertheless, I'm beginning to think that Scanner Access Now Easy is a
    cruel joke. Easy for whom? I know that the Linux side of the computer
    recognizes the scanner and card, because when I open System Information
    (K-> Settings-> Information-> SCSI) it states:

            Attached Devices:
                    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
                    Vendor: UMAX Model: Astra 1221s Rev: V1.3
                    Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 02

    But from there I don't know how to get sane up and running and talking
    to the scanner.

    I contacted the local LUG, but their suggestions were of little help, so
    I decided to throw myself on your mercies, trusting that you know enough
    about sane to help me, who knows almost nothing.

    Bob Eaton