Re: CanoScan FB630U

From: Glenn Ramsey (glennr@es.co.nz)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 15:23:00 PST

    Hi Simon,

    Simon Heywood wrote:

    > Perhaps someone could tell me if any other efforts are underway to prise
    > information and/or drivers out of Canon, or point me in the right
    > direction as to how to take things further (I'm quite prepared to take the
    > Canon USB issue on myself). Perhaps a petition would be in order?

    Sorry I don't know about Canon but we are trying the same with
    Microtek for their 3600 scanner. I can't really give you any
    advice about what you should do but I can tell you about our
    experience so far...

    For months we got no reasonable responses by email since I think
    the customer support people didn't even know what we were talking
    about. Then Marian Eichholz managed to get a contact, through a
    European office, with an engineer within Microtek Taiwan. He said
    that while he personally thought it was a good idea to write
    drivers for other systems the info we wanted was currently only
    available under NDA and that the decision to release the info was
    not his.

    Currently Marian is running a poll to see how many people who a
    driver for the scanner. So he can go back to Microtek with some
    numbers to help sway their opinion.

    I'll let you know if we make any progress.

    HTH

    Glenn Ramsey
    glennr@es.co.nz