linker path (was:: Solaris works! New problem.)

From: Joern Clausen (jc@Genetik.Uni-Bielefeld.DE)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 04:53:38 PST

    [ we can take this off this list, but then again, this is a developer list,
      too ]

    > On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 09:24:32AM +0100, Joern Clausen wrote:
    > > and usually configure scripts work out of the box. Ok, Gimp's don't,
    > > because the developers decided to parse the result of gtk-config and
    > > throw out everything that does not look like '-L...', but that's a
    > > different, though sad story.
    >
    > You can file a bug about this (bugzilla.gnome.org) but I suspect that
    > this is libtool related, libtool and embedded search paths do not get
    > along well together IIRC.

    I reported this to bugs.gnome.org about exactly one year ago and recieved
    the bug id #5904. I can't find it on bugzilla.gnome.org, but it is maybe
    somewhere there...

    > Gimp-devel would probably accept a patch which did the Right Thing, but
    > just hacking in -Rs everywhere has already been determined not to be
    > that Right Thing (though it may work for you)

    Could you point me to some archive where this discussion took place? Or
    could you summarize what is the Right Thing? I don't think that any
    solution involving LD_LIBRARY_PATH can be acceptable.