Re: Microtek X6, USB and slackware problems

From: Karsten Festag (karsten.festag@t-online.de)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 13:15:50 PST

    Hi Roy, Hi Oliver,

    I got the logfile from Oliver and discovered that the scanner returns unexpected
    data with the scsi_read_image_info command. Normally it gives back the width and
    height of the image to be scanned and the amount of data it will provide. But here
    it looks like the scanner simply returns the bytes it has recieved during the last
    command (scsi_set_window).
    By the way, have you modified the backend code? I would have expected that you get
    an error message because your model (model code 0x99) is not recognized by the
    backend.

    In fact I think there are two possibilities:
    a) Microtek again doesn't follow it's own standards with newer scanners and the
    scanner must be handled different from the others
    b) there is a problem with the sg / USB driver or interface

    to make this clear it would be helpful to know about the communication with the
    scanner when scanning with Windows. I got my (SCSI-via-)parport scanner running
    with wine and was able to trace the data that was send via the ASPI interface. I
    don't know if it is possible with SCSI-via-USB.

    Greetings

    Karsten