high res problems with an Epson 1240U

From: Geoff Ghose (geoff@focus.neusc.bcm.tmc.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 06:44:42 PST

    I just got a 1240U and was very very happy when everything seemed to work. Then the other
    shoe dropped...

    It turns out that when I set the scan resolution to 800 or higher in xsane I get a message
    "Error during read: invalid argument" and
    [epson] error in receive - status=5.
    I have been using the TPU (I'm not sure that matters).

    Meanwhile the kernel reports
    read_scanner(0):funky result - -32. Please notify the maintainer.

    I have to kill xsane, and afterward it is unable to find any devices. Then
    kernel talks about NAK received. The only way to restore order seems to be to completely
    remove the usb stack (just scanner doesn't work) and insmod everything again.

    Just to make clear everything works perfectly below at 600 dpi and lower!

    I'm using a sane rpm from helix gnome that contains epson backend 0.1.33.
    The kernel is a Mandrake 2.2.17 (i.e. backport), and I got a number of other USB devices
    that work just fine (Phillips web cam, pegasus ethernet, and Epson Photo printer).

    I will of course try a more modern backend. I also saw on the FAQ the NAK
    timeout, but I'm not sure that's the problem since it only happens after things are
    screwed.

    I was wondering whether anyone has reported this type of thing. I'll let you know what the
    more modern backend does.