Re: transparancy lighting

From: Bjoern Brill (brill@samson.math.uni-frankfurt.de)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 07:29:01 PST

    On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, FJA van Zijp wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > With my Mustek now working, does anyone have an idea on what
    > works as a lighting source to scan transparent things like slides and
    > overhead sheets?

    I use Musteks "TA IV" transparency adaptor with a 12000 SP+. Slides need
    some gamma correction, overhead sheets are OK without.

    In germany, it is sold for around DM 140,- by e.g. ATELCO - see
    <http://www.atelco.de>. You could ask Musteks email support about
    retailers and pricing in NL - they're generally helpful wrt this kind of
    questions.

    > Do I build a box with a few neon tubes and a 'milky' glass bottom,
    > which I place on the scanner?

    In principle, the TA IV isn't that much different from what you describe
    and you could certainly try to build something like that yourself.
    Problems:
    - Would it be cheaper ?
    - The right colour and intensity of the light is critical.
    - Homogenity of the lighting is even more critical.
    - Usual neon tubes flicker with 50Hz frequency, this could (?) cause
      horizontal stripes in the scan. You may have to use a lighting source