RE: Getting compressed B/W image data from Fujitsu M3096GXm scann er

From: Armistead, Jason (armistej@oeca.otis.com)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 21:57:32 PST

    Hi Tom (and all on the SANE list)

    Thanks to Tom for his pointing out that his sane-bh backend DOES support
    compression.

    Why isn't it directly integrated with SANE 1.04 and part of the standard
    distribution ? The latest sane-bh patches are against 1.03, so I guess
    there'll be some extra work required to make it go together with 1.04 ?

    The obvious question arises : When is "the next major version of SANE" due
    to be released ? It would seem to me (maybe naively) that scanner-based
    compression is something that has been overlooked in SANE up until now.

    Is there any reason that a "reference model" scanner from the SCSI II spec
    wasn't developed as part of SANE, as a basis for all others to be modelled
    on ? Obviously every manufacturer likes to "roll their own" feature set,
    but we seem to be treading on each other's toes by re-inventing at least
    some portion of the wheel for each new scanner. e.g. with sense code /
    qualifier decoding for the various error messages such as ADF jamming.
    Perhaps it's time to look at redesigning the backends to deal with these
    e.g. a function called sane_scsi2_asc60_asq00 might actually handle the SCSI
    2 ASC60, ASQ00 response code "Lamp failure" for all scanners. Perhaps this
    also lends itself to other (multi language support ?) also if the SANE API
    could be extended to cover some sort of SANE_Status to text translation
    scheme.

    Or am I just barking up the wrong tree ???

    There also seems to be a large discrepancy in the level of diagnostic given
    in each driver e.g. the Microtek driver seems to be absolutely LOADED with
    debugging information (over 119 printfs, plus stacks of DBG callouts), but
    others have very few at all.

    Then again, maybe I'm just used to being pampered by pay-ware rather than
    GPL-ware ;-)

    Is there a list of proposed features (or just a wish list by SANE users) for
    the next version ?

    Just curious

    Jason (who is subscribed to the list and so doesn't need cc-ing)