Re: HP C5100A (SCSI PhotoSmart) - image solid black

From: Ewald R. de Wit (erdewit@zonnet.nl)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2001 - 03:25:09 PST

    Shamim Mohamed (shamim@drones.com) wrote:

    > The PhotoSmart, however: trying to scan a slide, everything seems to be
    > working fine EXCEPT: the image I get from xscanimage is just solid
    > black.

    Is the slide perhaps a bit underexposed (or dark) to begin with?
    You can try setting the option "Exposure Time" to 300%, and then
    afterwards apply a gamma of > 2.

    > What's going on? Do I need to calibrate the 5100A? There is a
    > calibration card that came with the scanner but none of the
    > documentation I've found on the HP backend says anything about
    > calibration.

    For prints you have to calibrate with the white card (the calibration
    is stored on file so you have to do this only once). For slides
    and negatives the scanner will recalibrate itself everytime the media
    type is changed or when the scanner is opened.

    > I tried scanning a print: very dark, faint blue image could be observed.
    > However scanning a strip of negatives looks much better.

    Try recalibrating. To see the recalibrate option in xscanimage, the
    selected media must be "Print".

    --
      --  Ewald