Re: Problem with scan quality using UMAX Astra 1220S

From: Rod Pike (rodneyp@utanet.at)
Date: Mon Jan 29 2001 - 15:34:54 PST

    On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 10:45:49PM +0100, Oliver Rauch wrote:
    > Rod Pike wrote:
    > > As I can get good scans running TWAIN, I'm doubtful that I have a
    > > hardware problem.
    >
    > We had several cases in which a hardware bug only was visible
    > under linux. Linux does use the hardware in a harder and more
    > intensive way so that problems may occur that are not visible
    > under windows.
    >
    > > Are there any ways of tweaking the SCSI driver properties?
    >
    > Take a look at /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi
    > and read the docs or the beginning of the sourcecode
    > of your scsi driver.
    >

    > I think it will be a problem of your Mainboard BIOS
    > or of the linux support for your mainboard chipsets.
    >
    > Bye
    > Oliver
    >
    > --
    > Homepage: http://www.wolfsburg.de/~rauch
    > sane-umax: http://www.wolfsburg.de/~rauch/sane/sane-umax.html
    > xsane: http://www.wolfsburg.de/~rauch/sane/sane-xsane.html
    > E-Mail: mailto:Oliver.Rauch@Wolfsburg.DE

    Just an update. I finally found out what the problem was with the scan
    quality. I recently upgraded my motherboard and re-introduced an old
    motherboard. I tried scanning on all three computers and all exhibited
    the same problem ruling out the mainboard as the culprit.

    I've been powering my scanner using the 12V supply from my computer
    power supply. I noticed that if I powered the scanner with one computer
    while scanning using another computer, the scans were cleaner. I went
    out and bought an external supply and now the scans don't have the
    problems I was seeing before. It appears that there must have been some
    sort harmonic interference generated that corrupted the scanning of the
    image. Go figure!

    I'm still intrigued as to why scanning from windows using TWAIN did not
    have the same problems as using SANE but at least I've got a working
    system now.

    Cheers,
    Rod

    --