Re: xsane-0.71 source available

From: Ian Cartwright (icartwright@mediaone.net)
Date: Mon Jan 29 2001 - 12:01:59 PST

    On Sunday 28 January 2001 10:47 am, Oliver Rauch wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > xsane-0.71 source has been released:
    >
    > http://www.wolfsburg.de/~rauch/sane/sane-xsane.html
    >

    > Changes from xsane-0.70 -> 0.71:
    > --------------------------------
    >
    > - corrected aspect ratio in xsane-preview.c in routine that calculates
    > preview resolution
    >
    > - corrected user definition of maximum scanner surface
    >
    > - added translation of preview menu maximum surface(preset area)
    >
    > - added tooltip for maximum surface(preset area) menu and rotation menu
    >
    > - finished preview_autoselect_scanarea()
    >
    > - added autoselect scanarea button to preview window
    >
    > - changed automaitic increase of filename counter:
    > - the step direction and length is not forced to +1,
    > the user can select one of the values -2/-1/0/+1/+2.
    > It is defined by preferences.filename_counter_step.
    > This way it is possible to scan double sided papers
    > with correct automatic page number generation.
    > - the digits are not increased by a loop any more,
    > the number is read, the new number is calculated
    > and the new filename is generated. The user can
    > select a minimum filename counter length now,
    > it is defined in preferences.filename_counter_len
    > and can be selected by the user in setup/saving options
    > - when the number of digits are not enough the number is
    > automatically increased now.
    > - a message comes up when counter gets smaller than 0
    >
    > - pipette the color is averaged on a square, the size of the
    > square can be defined by the user
    >
    > - updated html doc (not complete)
    >
    > - added tooltips to permission buttons (r,w,x)
    > - permission texts: user, group, all, read, write, execute
    > can be translated now.
    >
    > - added japanese translation (thanks to Kimizuka Tomokazu
    > <sgtom@pluto.dti.ne.jp>)
    >
    > - renamed oldgimp.h to gimp-1_0-compat.h
    >
    > Bye
    > Oliver

    I'm nost sure if this is a bug or not, but currently for usb snapscan
    scanners (AGFA, Acer, etc.) it is necessary to pass the device name (i.e.
    snapscan:/dev/usbscanner) to xscanimage when using it. The man page for xsane
    states that xsane also has this option, but it doesn't seem to work. For
    example the command line: 'xsane snapscan:/dev/usbscanner' returns an error:
    'Failed to open device 'snapscan:/dev/usbscanner': Invaid arguement.'

    Is this a bug or is the command parameter format different from xscanimage?

    Cheers,

    Ian