Re: scanning to cd-rom

From: Jonathan Buzzard (jonathan@buzzard.org.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 02:20:15 PST

    steveu@coppice.org said:
    > If you live in a humid place CD lifetime really sucks. A substantial
    > percentage fail quickly, although many last for years. Perhaps that
    > reflects variability in the protective coating process.

    If you fail to store them inside the required temperature and humidity
    ranges expect them to fail. If you live in a humid place this can
    obviously be a problem but magnetic media will also have problems in
    this environment as well. I would imagine the problem is that molds
    and fungi grow on the disks in very humid enviroments.

    All I can say is that I have a few CD-R's that where cut over five
    years ago and they have no problems being read (just tested one to make
    sure).

    I can blank a CD-R in week by leaving it on the windowsill in the middle
    of summer. This tells you nothing about the life span of CD-R's.

    JAB.

    --
    Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: jonathan@buzzard.org.uk
    Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44(0)1661-832195