Re: scanning to cd-rom

From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme (kjetilho@ifi.uio.no)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 02:24:07 PST

    This is very off-topic, but I can't help myself :-)

    [Steve Underwood]

    > If you live in a humid place CD lifetime really sucks. A
    > substantial percentage fail quickly, although many last for
    > years. Perhaps that reflects variability in the protective coating
    > process.

    If you care about your data, you keep the media in a controlled
    environment. In Hong Kong, that probably means buying an air dryer to
    keep humidity down.

    > As you say, the cheap CDRs, now produced by the hundreds of
    > millions in many Asian factories, simply don't work reliably at
    > all. I don't understand why people keep buying them.

    Most people don't use CDR's for long term storage. They save some new
    songs for the car, and don't care if it starts skipping after a year.
    Quite a few people live in less extreme environments than you, too :-)
    I've never had a CDR fail on me (except outright coasters of course).

    Kjetil T.