Re: Setting up HP ScanJet 5P on Solaris 8 SPARC

From: Peter Kirchgessner (peter@kirchgessner.net)
Date: Mon Jan 22 2001 - 11:44:38 PST

    Gregory Gulik wrote:

    > Peter Kirchgessner wrote:
    > > Should be scanimage -d hp:/dev/sg/10
    >
    > Oops, sorry...

    That is a difference between scanimage and xscanimage. scanimage
    requires -d.

    > > And remove all entries from the hp.conf-file. The debug printout must
    > > show the usage of /dev/sg/10 (even if /dev/scanjet is a link to it).
    >
    > Ok, hp.conf is completely empty now.
    >
    > (greg@server.gagme.com ~/greg> scanimage -d hp:/dev/sg/10
    > [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of hp to 16.
    > [hp] init called
    > [hp] hp_read_config: hp backend v0.88 starts reading config file
    > [hp] hp_device_info_get: device /dev/sg/10 not configured. Using default
    > [hp] hp_get_dev: New device /dev/sg/10, connect-scsi, scsi-request=0
    > [hp] scsi_inquire: sending INQUIRE
    > [hp] scsi_inquire: inquiry failed: Operation not supported

    Curious. The open of /dev/sg/10 worked ok. But the inquiry command
    failed.
    But someone must have created the /dev/sg/10 device. I can not see what
    is going wrong here. Can you have a look at the system startup messages
    for the recogniton of the scanner. On Linux you get informations about
    the scsi-devices. The 5p should show up as of vendor HP, Model C5110A,
    Revision 3638, Type Processor.

    Does the scanner work with xvscan on that machine (sorry I assume its xv
    with scan extension ???).

    --Peter

    --
    Peter Kirchgessner