Re: please advise: Mustek 12000SP, NCR810 & color stripes

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2001 - 03:25:59 PST

    On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 09:37:34AM +0100, FJA van Zijp wrote:
    > Yikes. I think I got a severe case of coloredstriperitis.

    :-)

    > Scanned color images show horizontal lines, one pixel high. The
    > colors of these lines are clearly off. They seem to lack one or two of
    > the RGB components.

    From your image it looks like they occur at the border between two
    scan buffers (64k). You may check this by setting option buffersize to
    something other than 128 (the standard size, its twice as much as
    actually sent from the scanner). If the lines occur more towards the
    bottom of the image with bigger buffers, it's probably a problem
    related to sending/receiving these buffers not fast enough.

    > I'm not sure if these are the horizontal stripes that are mentioned in
    > the SANE literature,

    It's one possibility for stripes. It doesn't look like a line distance
    problem, however.

    > because I only saw one example on the Mustek

    > I have a Mustek ScanExpress 12000SP (says the cover) with
    > firmware 2.02 (says SANE).

    Same here.

    > The scanner is tied to a nameless
    > NCR810 SCSI card, no other SCSI devices are involved.

    I have also some sort of NCR810 Clone but at the moment I'm using an
    Adaptec 2940. I will try the 810 later. I'm using the following option
    in modules.conf:

    options ncr53c8xx ncr53c8xx="disc:n"

    But I don't think it will change anything.

    > Slackware 7.1, kernel 2.2.17 drives the linux box, ncr53c7,8xx.o
    > drives the card. SANE 1.0.4 with Mustek backend 1.0.4 compiles
    > flawlessly - BTW I only compile the backends mustek and v4l to save
    > time.

    Here it's 2.2.18. I can't reproduce the stripes but will try later
    with the other card.

    The debug log doesn't look unusual. Can you send a debug log of an
    actual scan (with stripes) to me directly (not the list)?

    Something like

    SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK=5 SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI=255 scanimage -d \
      mustek:/dev/scanner your options here 2>dbg.log

    Bye,
      Henning