xscanimage crashes when using >1 V4L device

From: Jeffrey H. Ingber (jhingber@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2001 - 01:13:23 PST

            I posted this problem a month or so ago, but didn't have to time to
    investigate until today. A system with more than one V4L device will
    cause xscanimage to crash when using the V4L backend.

    Example:

    I have an Creative Labs WebCam III (USB) using the OV511 kernel driver
    (/dev/video0) and a Matrox Rainbow Runner-G series capture card
    (/dev/video1) using the marvel-linux drivers. When trying to aquire a
    frame from either device using xscanimage from within GIMP, the plugin
    will die with GIMP's standard error message "The plugin has died, etc.".

    I think I may have found the cause of this:

    "scanimage -L" reveals:

    device `v4l:/dev/video1' is a V4L mgacap-0 virtual device
    device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a V4L mgacap-0 virtual device
    device `hp:/dev/sg5' is a Hewlett-Packard C7670A flatbed scanner
    device `hp:/dev/scanner' is a Hewlett-Packard C7670A flatbed scanner

    As you can see, SANE can't differentiate between the two V4L devices.
    It is identifying the webcam and Matrox card as the same device.
    /dev/video0 should be the webcam, and /dev/video1 should be the Matrox
    card. I think this is what's causing the crash. When one one device
    device has it's drivers loaded, the plugin works, but not when both
    devices are loaded.

    Is this operator headspace or might this be a problem with the backend
    itself? Any input would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Jeffrey H. Ingber (jhingber@ix.netcom.com)