Re: Can Anyone help this guy out?

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Sat Jan 20 2001 - 03:35:29 PST

    On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 12:51:20AM -0500, Rick Frank wrote:
    > Logitech was (and as far as I know, still is) part of the original
    > TWAIN consortium. Several persons have said to me that it may be
    > possible that there is a TWAIN driver that can be used as a driver
    > for the Logitech Pagescan Color scanner. Is this the case?

    This is a question for the TWAIN group. But as TWAIN is a standard for
    the interface between an image manipulating program and a scan
    application this won't help you. You need to know how the scanner
    works. So you either need the source code for the existing drivers or
    some hardware level documentation.

    > If not,
    > then is it possible that the specifications for designing a new
    > driver for the scanner for Windows 2000 might be acquired through the
    > TWAIN Working Group?

    Ask them but I don't think they know about the interna of the scanners.

    > Please not that Logitech
    > has already told me that they no longer support the device and Storm
    > Technologies is now defunct.

    Maybe you can find former employees of Storm who can you tell more
    details?

    The other way is to program a new driver from scratch by looking at
    the data stream going from the computer to the scanner and back. As
    you can imageine that will be a lot of work.

    Bye,
     Henning