Re: Compiling Sane Now Infuriating

From: Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 10:28:52 PST

    "Jeffrey W. Baker" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Is it actually possible to compile sane? I downloaded both parts of the
    > 1.0.4 package. I tried to build the backends, but sanei_scsi.c has some
    > preprocessor horkage by which it includes /usr/include/scsi/sg.h and
    > /usr/include/linux/../scsi/sg.h, which are clearly the same file and gcc
    > gets pissed off by redefinition. After I fixed this problem (not the
    > right way, I'm sure, but by hard-coding #include <scsi/sg.h>), the package
    > compiled and installed.

    This seems to be a problem if incompatible system and kernel sg.files

    kernel-2.4.0 (/usr/src/linux/include/scsi/sg.h):
    #ifndef _SCSI_GENERIC_H
    suse-7.0 /usr/include/scsi/sg.h:
    #ifndef _SCSI_SG_H

    In previous kernel versions _SCSI_SG_H has been used to make sure
    sg.h is included only once.
    May be you should rename /usr/include/scsi to make sure the
    kernel includes are used!

    > Then I turned to the frontends. They won't even configure, because they
    > can't detect the sane installation. The test program fails because it
    > doesn't understand sane_major_version. No surprise there, because none of
    > the sane header files define sane_major_version, only SANE_VERSION_MAJOR.

    Before the compilation test which fails due to missing sane_major_version
    there is another sane compilation test must have failed. The second compile test
    is only to find out why the first test failed (and only the second compile test
    has this bug). Take a look at config.log to find out why the first test failed.

    Bye
    Oliver

    --